miércoles, 11 de noviembre de 2015

An essay about my teaching practice.



In my work as a teacher, often I feel that the time scheduled for a course is not enough to cover all the contents proposed in the curriculum.
After making the reading of the document: "give time to think" I realize that I made the mistake of trying to cover the whole theme in this "short" time and myself as instructor I'm complaining about an overload of content and very little time to develop.
Although in many cases, being aware of this situation, I define which issues are truly essential and therefore very relevant and destination more time to study them.



Other times, I do not make that distinction.

 Other times, I do not make that distinction. Now I realize that I promote surface learning by the student. To pretend that all the content be studied in this "short" time.

In our educational system, in Colombia, we have a difficulty, weakness, trainees are not taught to read, reading not promoted, then, It is very difficult for learners improve their learning outside the classroom, in his / her own time. In his/her own time.

Time spent with teaching in classroom, most often exposed extensive content and the trainee is not possible to identify the relevant from the irrelevant, though sometimes I explain and show them what is truly important, they generally fail do and try to memorize a lot of information which in many cases will not be useful later.

In my case, I have found that in most cases trainees do not devote time to personal study at home or in their time outside the classroom and the only time they devote to learning is the time they are in the classroom.

In conducting the review of the document Handbook for teachers, I find tools to work very useful and interesting classroom and I think its application in the classroom promotes learner deeper work, invite you to be studied in more detail the contents. Especially that promote interaction with peers and thus trainees have the opportunity to discuss concepts, express their ideas and share their own experiences with respect to the subject matter, so they can relate the new concepts prior knowledge.

To develop strategies for student-centered learning is necessary to improve and transform the spaces in institutions. Provide them with technological tools that facilitate teaching strategies student-centered. 

It is a task which employs experts permanently and in the subject of  learning-environments in our institution SENA, they are continually building and improving the learning-environments in order to promote and facilitate the use of strategies and teaching methods focused on the learner and providing tools to apprentices to reach the learning outcomes proposed in training programs.

About learning outcomes in SENA, for quite some time, training programs, build the curriculum with the definition of learning outcomes with the same intention that expose the authors of the document Kennedy et al: "writing and using learning outcomes ".
It is clear to instructors and trainees SENA that a learning outcome is what a student is expected to know, understand and / or be able to demonstrate or perform after completion of a learning process.

In my daily job the teaching method that I use most is the "contact teaching" where a teacher is present and actively guides the studying and learning of the whole group. Therefore, in addition to lectures, contact teaching includes calculation exercises and guided laboratory assignments and make group practical activities. In each Contact teaching introduces the new subjects to be learned to the students.
In second place, the most used teaching method in my practice are de group work.

and less frequent, I use different work places to make process demonstrations and apply directly in a farm or  in animal beings, any treatment or examination, a diet essay, etc. generally, all activities that need be applied directly in individual animal or a group of them



I find in the "handbook for teachers" many excellent tools to begin to use in my teaching practice.
The most interesting for me, are not a specific method, are the guide to make a budget of time that we need to develop each activity accord with the technique or method selected.

I find this guide useful to optimize the use of time, I wrote in previous lines, which often consider it very short.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario